Monday, February 21, 2005

RIP: Hunter S. Thompson

Our country lost a great man yesterday. Hunter S. Thompson, the pioneer of 'gonzo journalism' killed himself Sunday at his compound in Colorado. He was 67 years old. Dr. Thompson is most known for his novels, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas--which was made into a movie--and Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72.

I have never read much of Thompson but I know he fervently opposed the Bush Administration and was a friend of John Kerry. Hunter once compared another four years of Bush to four more years of having syphilis; this alone makes him a good man in my book.

I made a promise to myself, and to him, that the next book I read will be one of his.

Rest in Peace, and thank you friend.

MSNBC Article on his death

Here is an article in which people leave tributes to Hunter

2 Comments:

Blogger The Disenfranchised Voter said...

I did fulfill my promise, Hunter. Fear and Loathing was great and hard to put down.

I only wish I could say rest in peace with confidence.

3:31 AM  
Blogger The Cobra said...

Thank you for the tribute to the phenom that was Hunter S. He was a hero of mine, still is. His suicide was no surprise. He was not a man to let age and death take control of the life he fought so hard to live. He was a man of passionate convictions and dared all of us to stand by our own. A genius in his own right, a sad story in all else's. I've read a couple of his novels, you should read more. He changed America.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home