Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Gannon-Gate

Oh the irony of my life! It was a few weeks ago, and I remember hearing a comment from President Bush's recent press conference in which a reporter asked Dubya how can he possibly work together with the Democrats when the Democrats are so "out-of-touch with reality"--they think the economy is bad and claim Social Security isn't in a crisis. Here is the full quote:

"Thank you. Senate Democratic leaders have painted a very bleak picture of the U.S. economy. [Senate Minority Leader] Harry Reid [D-NV] was talking about soup lines. And [Senator] Hillary Clinton [D-NY] was talking about the economy being on the verge of collapse. Yet in the same breath they say that Social Security is rock solid and there's no crisis there. How are you going to work -- you've said you are going to reach out to these people -- how are you going to work with people who seem to have divorced themselves from reality?"
After hearing this I had to laugh a little on the inside about how much of a total moron the guy who said this was. I eventually told the story to my dad when we were discussing politics and the media. I said to him that I wondered how in the hell he could even get away with making such a ridiculous statement at a press conference. I apparently did not need to wonder for very long...
As my dad and I were watching Countdown today, we happened to see a story about Talonnews.com "reporter" "Jeff Gannon". It turns out that Jeff Gannon isn't really a journalist at all--nor is his name Jeff Gannon--but somehow he had White House press credentials. The story continues and they started to show questions (really propaganda) by Jeff Gannon. The very first "question" they showed was the comment from Bush's press conference that I had heard earlier. I laughed and said that is the guy I was talking about dad, and quickly it all made sense how Jeff got away with it.
They showed many other clips of Mr. G and his ridiculous statements/questions and I think it is fairly obvious that Scott McCellan called on Jeff when Scott wanted to change the subject because the Bush Administration were starting to venture into "hot water". If you don't believe me you can see read some of the scenarios for yourself over at MediaMatters.org.
Also--as a guest on Countdown pointed out--Scott McCellan KNEW that Jeff Gannon wasn't the man's real name. In order to get a press pass you must tell them your real name. I sincerely believe that Jeff Gannon is a "plant" by the Bush Administration. Hopefully the media will pick up on this story because of the blogs just like they did with Memo-Gate.
And so, let the unraveling begin! Onward Gannon-Gate!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I don't see any way that the White House couldn't have known who he really is and that he was a poser. They may not be ethical or moral. But, they're not stupid. And to believe that they didn't know would mean that they are flat out stupid.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home